Saturday 10 October 2015

A little more about me!


Hello again!
So now that I have modified my approach towards time management. Let’s backtrack to what should have been my second blog post!
As I mentioned in my profile, I am Australian living in Dubai, U.A.E.
Because of my father’s job (architect/project director) I have moved around the world my entire life. I have lived in Australia, Indonesia, Dubai and England. I have lived in these countries, growing up with different cultures and religions all around me and I am so fortunate to have been able to experience all these countries as it has made me into the person I am today. In my opinion I bonded with Dubai, Australia and England the most, mostly because I grew up there in my later years of childhood. I have received so many opportunities from living abroad however, there is a downside with it as well. Throughout the years, I have questioned myself about where I belong in the world. Do I belong in Australia? Or Dubai? Or England? And don’t get me started on what it’s like to be asked- ‘Where are you from?’ Because truly, I don’t think any expat child knows. And how can we? We as a community feel at home in every country we settle in, because we’ve been brought up that way.  Personally, I am still not sure where I belong in the world, I know I am Australian but from my experiences, I know there is so much more in the world to explore. So I have decided its okay to not know where you belong as long as you keep working towards something that makes you, you. That’s one of the reasons why I chose to move to England to study at Bodywork, as I knew it would only add to my passion for dance. With the above objective of working towards something that makes you, you every experience adds and changes the person you are and will be in your personal and professional life.
My next step is undertaking the Bachelor of Arts in professional practise, I look forward to finding out what this course has in order for me and to have my ‘light bulb moment’ as Paula said in our Induction Skype session.

Thanks again for reading,

Cassie V.

6 comments:

  1. the light bulb or ah ha thinking came form a friend I used to teach with - also
    http://paulanottingham.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/eureka-moment-ah-has-moment-and.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link Paula, I will take a look at it.
      Cassie V.

      Delete
  2. Hi Cassie, it was great chatting on Skype the other day. I found your blog really interesting as I am currently teaching expat children in Singapore. They are all exactly the same as you....they have no idea what to say when asked 'Where are you from?' This is my first experience working with expat kids and I'm finding it such an interesting experience. I'm thinking of basing some of my studies for this course on the difference in education in Asia compared to the UK and how a lot of my students have a fear of failure....as they are surrounded by extremely high achieving super successful peers. I hope you're enjoying your time in Dubai. Scott Marshall went to the same college as me and would come in and do workshops! Lots of friends have worked with him so I'm sure we have lots of mutual friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy,
      Was great talking to you on skype the other day as well, it’s nice to be able to put a voice to a name. Yes I find that all my friends who grew up with me are exactly the same as me as well, unless they went back to the country that they are originally from after high school. I can definitely relate to the fear of failure. All my peers and as you say the children you teach peers are so successful, I think this fear can resonate not only in expat children but also in any child going through education as there are so many pressures and expectations. I’m so glad that you posted on this because, just last night I found a great speech that I will be blogging about in the next few days. Her talk really shed some light for me so I hope it sheds some light for the children you are teaching as well.
      Wow it really is a small world isn’t it!? I was training at Scott’s performing arts school before I went to Bodywork, as well as worked at some of the events that he choreographed. I am sure you are right, we most likely have a lot of mutual friends. Another great thing about the internet, connecting everyone!
      Thanks for the comment, Cassie V

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hi Lucy,
      My most recent blog is about the speech I mentioned to you. I hope its helpful, I know it has clarified a lot for me. I also hope you get this message, I am a little unsure if you get notifications using blogger.
      Thanks again!

      Delete